HISTORY OF PPZ TRZEMESZNO

historiaPPZ „Trzemeszno” is a leading Polish manufacturer of potato starch and potato protein feed. High quality products obtained from potatoes grown in ecological farms are demanded by the largest companies in Poland and worldwide. Currently owned by the State Treasury as the only shareholder, the company history dates back to the year 1883 when the construction of Trockenstarke und Starke Syrup – Fabrik Akcien Geselhoft was completed. At that time the company processing capacity amounted to 40 tons of potatoes, with 80 employees. The plant extension and mechanisation followed and syrup and caramel production facilities were put into operation. In 1890 the company was taken over by Ditmar Manasse, to burn down three years later. It took two years to rebuild it and restart operation under the name of Krochmalnie in Niewolno near Trzemeszno. Until the outbreak of the II World War the company continued to develop under changing owners. In 1942 it was bought by Peter von Wendorf, rebuilt and new technologies were implemented. Under the post-war nationalisation it formed part of the Potato Industry Union in Poznań. In the year 1948 Krochmalnia Niewolno in Trzemeszno started the operation. In 1963 with modern processing lines the plant production capacity reached 360 tons of potatoes daily. Peas powder production also started. In 1970 the Bydgoszcz Potato Industry Company was set up with the seat in Trzemeszno, regrouping potato processing plants in Trzemeszno, Bronisław, Toruń and Chojnice. Development and modernisation continued throughout the seventies, with a new dried waste pulp plant, a feed concentrate production plant, and the agricultural utilisation of sewage in the Rudki State Agricultural Farm. In the eighties the potato processing capacity increased to 540 tons daily. Since 1990 the company has operated as a separate entity. After the Bronisław plant separated, a packing line was put into operation in Trzemeszno, to counteract the loss of a part of the retail market, and the good market position was quickly restored. The basic scope of production consists in potato processing into potato starch. In the manufacturing process large volume of water coming from the company water intake in the Popielewskie lake is used. Since 1983 the sewage has been used in the Rudki fields to water and fertilise. In the year 1998, as a result of the decision made to recover potato protein from sewage, a line to recover proteins from industrial effluents was put into operation, to obtain a valuable component to produce animal feed. The above innovation also improved environmental protection by reducing the content of pollutants such as suspensions, nitrogen and phosphorus in the effluents. Moreover, the plant became more environment friendly following the boiler room modernisation with three oil boilers, replaced with even more ecological natural gas boilers in 2003. Protein feed obtained from potatoes proved a real hit in the market, as it contains as much as 80 per cent of protein in dry mass and is very well assimilated. Almost wholly exported before, now protein is processed in the Polish market. All the year round potato starch is packed in 0.5 kg and 1 kg paper bags, and 0.5 plastic film bags. Potatoes for processing are purchased based on contracts concluded with more than one thousand growers who receive direct supplementary payments depending on the area of arable land held, and supplementary payments on account of starch potato growing. Prior to Poland’s entry to the European Union, the company manufactured potato starch in compliance with the quota assigned by the Minister of Agriculture. At present, such quota is assigned by the European Union. The company currently employs 110 persons on a regular basis, and about one hundred seasonal workers during potato harvest campaigns.

 

CAPITAL GROUP
oszczolka pszczolka stoislaw dworski